Thursday, February 25, 2010

Truly Stunned...

Well, my "little" bathroom project took a bit of a nose dive last night. (Note to self: Do not leave cans of paint under a sink where your children wash their hands. They will use them as step-stools.) You guessed it--- Syler dumped an ENTIRE gallon of blue paint on the floor of the bathroom I've been working on. I was in the kitchen finishing getting dinner ready and of course we needed to leave our house by 5:30. It's 5:00, Syler is in the bathroom washing his hands, and I get a phone call from a doctor's office. While talking to the nurse I hear Syler start screaming and I was sure he was hurt from the sound of his cry. I ran to the bathroom and was completely stunned. Sy is standing crying in the middle of a huge puddle of paint!! Melody is screaming in her high chair b/c I had to exit the kitchen so quickly and I'm still on the phone. I explain to the nurse what happened and she feels horrible, so obviously we end our conversation.

I think I must have stood there for about 5 minutes just trying to figure out how in the world I was going to get the paint off the floor and not have Melody walking around in it. I wasn't quite sure where to start! Do I clean up Sy first? Do I get Mel out or let her stay in her chair crying so I can clean it up? We still needed to get ready to go to church too. AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!Finally I called Jonathan and made sure he was on his way home, then I put Melody to bed for a short nap b/c she was a wreck by this point.

Thankfully it was an old linoleum floor but I did have rather new rugs down already and of course all my painting supplies were on the floor. Pretty much anything that was on the floor had to be thrown away... literally the whole gallon was dumped. I ended up using all the receiving blankets I had ready for a garage sale to clean it up. What a sticky mess!

I think I stayed pretty calm through the whole thing thankfully... I was in more shock that anything. I came to find out that there is just no good way to go about cleaning up a pile of paint. We got everywhere we needed to go and it all worked out in the end. I actually started laughing a few times just b/c it was so ridiculous.

Parenthood is not for the faint of heart :) Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures- I was trying to work too quickly to stop and think of it! Hope this makes you smile today... just another exciting time at the Hyde Household!

3 comments:

  1. OH.... MY..... GOSH....

    Um wow. I would have flipped my lid!! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see you so calm and collective. I would have flipped out!!! You are such a great mommy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'd be shocked, too. Poor Sy! Sounds pretty stressful to me! I'm amazed you got to chuch on time! Glad you were able to laugh about it. I agree with Sara. You are calm and collective!

    ReplyDelete